Marriage and Civil Union Requirements

Congratulations! Aspen is the perfect place to start your life together- with our beautiful mountain scenery, world-renowned restaurants, romantic venues and our deluxe accommodations - it is a destination that will defy ordinary.

Marriage and Civil Union License requirements in Pitkin County

Colorado loves love! State statute makes it easy to obtain a license and get married and even allows couples to marry themselves. We began issuing same sex marriage licenses 10/6/14 and Civil Union Licenses became available 5/1/13.

To obtain a marriage or civil union license you will want to contact the Pitkin County Clerk & Recorder via phone at 970.429.2707, or online: on the Pitkin County website: Marriage or Civil Union requirements. By filling out information on the Marriage & Civil Union License Kiosk you will save a few minutes of time when you stop by the office to pick up the license. (2016/2017: Temporary Location Vectra Bank Bldg, 534 East Hyman, Suite 106).

Civil Union License Checklist

Marriage License Checklist

A marriage or civil union ceremony may be performed by clergy, a judge or a retired judge of a court, by a court magistrate, by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, Indian tribe officials, or the parties to the marriage. Clergy from out of state need not be registered in Colorado. For more information please reference the Pitkin County website.

Local Justices of the Peace / Officiants

Judge Bob Grueter can be contacted at 970.379.9282

Judge Brooke Peterson can be contacted at 970.544.0499

Magistrate Pip Porter can be contacted at 970.948.2186

Rabbi Itzhak Vardy can be contacted at 970.925.9568

Additional Resources

Name Change Guidelines

X close